Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Un-labeled Genetically Modified Salmon

My favorite quote from the article:

The biotechnology industry is opposed to mandatory labeling, saying it will only bewilder a public that is not well informed about genetic engineering.

"Extra labeling only confuses the consumer," said David Edwards, director of animal biotechnology at the Biotechnology Industry Organization. "It differentiates products that are not different. As we stick more labels on products that don't really tell us anything more, it makes it harder for consumers to make their choices."

(Which translates to, "The less consumers know, the better for us." If they are confident that this is a good thing, then label accurately and let the consumer decide.)

FDA rules won't require labeling of genetically modified salmon
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

This absolutely positively fries me. I've got some notes on this somewhere about this. I'll try to find them since me and a friend were going back and forth ranting about this in e-mails.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

OMG Teresa!!!! I found my notes.... they're on my computer here at work. That’s the AquAdvantage Salmon frankenfish, brought to you and me by AquaBounty Technologies, Another (GMO) Fish Tale From Aqua Bounty « Corporate Crime Daily, is spawned.GMO fish are also likely to irreversibly alter natural marine environments, with unpredictable and possibly fatal impacts on natural fish species. One study demonstrated that an escape of relatively few GMO fish could wipe out local fish populations in just 40 generations. Escapes of fish from aquaculture facilities are so routine that Canada’s draft policy stated that GMO fish “must be treated the same as fish released into the natural ecosystem.”
Despite the risks of GMO fish, widespread consumer concern, and the dubious track record of the company bringing GMO salmon to market, the US government continues to fund research and development of GMO seafood through its Sea Grant programs. Research into numerous GMO species, including catfish, sea bass, tilapia, oysters and other fish and seafood is ongoing at many of the country’s thirty-two Sea Grant universities.” Mutant wannabes across the US should join hands and rejoice while singing kumbaya since our laws are hands down on their side, Guidance for Industry: Evidence-Based Review System for the Scientific Evaluation of Health Claims - Final and Obama Implements Codex Alimentarius Council by Executive Order | Food News.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I've got more here.... looks like we got set up a long time ago, Genetically Engineered Foods. Here’s the challenge and nobody sees an easy way out other than using our dollars to talk for us by buying organic and not buying foods that we aren't able to determine haven’t been genetically modified, Genetically Modified Foods, “Institute of Food Technologists, genetically modified foods should not be labeled because labels are likely to mislead consumers by implying a warning. . . . Moreover, labeling rDNA-engineered foods would not be economically prudent and this sure didn’t help much either, Genetically modified foods: breeding uncertainty. - Free Online Library,
"The U.S. Regulatory System
As far as U.S. regulatory agencies are concerned, agrobiotech companies need only demonstrate that--apart from the transgenic protein--a GM crop shares equivalent composition and nutritional status nutritional status, in the assessment of the state of nourishment of a patient or subject. to its conventional counterpart. If this is shown to be the case, then the crop is said to be as safe as the conventional variety, and companies are free to sell it." What happened is that in the final days of the Clinton Administration…. the FDA was allowed to zap us good with their “new” policy on genetically engineered foods. That policy's still in effect today…. doesn’t require labeling of genetically engineered foods and doesn’t require pre-market safety testing. Now add to this mess the fact that we have another fox guarding one of our henhouses, Obama Puts GMO Booster in Charge of Food Safety, “Taylor is also responsible for the FDA's decision to treat genetically modified organisms as "substantially equivalent" to natural foods and therefore not require any safety studies. The "substantially equivalent" rule allowed the FDA to ignore evidence that genetically engineered foods, including soy, are in fact very different from natural foods and pose specific health risks.” We’ve been had as a nation and we’ve been had good by our own NAS, National Academy of Sciences: National Academy of Sciences Home, “To date, no adverse health effects attributed to genetic engineering have been documented in the human population.” When the deck is stacked against us like this…. the only way we can get around the “hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, but…. fund only evil” NAS is by growing more of our own food sustainably while not buying any foods we even think might be genetically engineered.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

It sickens me the Powers that be keep ignoring this call for a moratorium on GM foods… Genetically Modified Foods Position Paper:: The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM),Therefore, because GM foods pose a serious health risk in the areas of toxicology, allergy and immune function, reproductive health, and metabolic, physiologic and genetic health and are without benefit, the AAEM believes that it is imperative to adopt the precautionary principle, which is one of the main regulatory tools of the European Union environmental and health policy and serves as a foundation for several international agreements.13 The most commonly used definition is from the 1992 Rio Declaration that states: "In order to protect the environment, the precautionary approach shall be widely applied by States according to their capabilities. Where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent environmental degradation."13
Another often used definition originated from an environmental meeting in the United States in 1998 stating: "When an activity raises threats to the environment or human health, precautionary measures should be taken, even if some cause and effect relationships are not fully established scientifically. In this context, the proponent of an activity, rather than the public, should bear the burden of proof (of the safety of the activity)."13
With the precautionary principle in mind, because GM foods have not been properly tested for human consumption, and because there is ample evidence of probable harm, the AAEM asks:

Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community, and the public to avoid GM foods when possible and provide educational materials concerning GM foods and health risks.

Physicians to consider the possible role of GM foods in the disease processes of the patients they treat and to document any changes in patient health when changing from GM food to non-GM food.

Our members, the medical community, and the independent scientific community to gather case studies potentially related to GM food consumption and health effects, begin epidemiological research to investigate the role of GM foods on human health, and conduct safe methods of determining the effect of GM foods on human health.

For a moratorium on GM food, implementation of immediate long term independent safety testing, and labeling of GM foods, which is necessary for the health and safety of consumers.”
Like doctors should be saddled with “educating” the public and …. as if they have time to educate us on GMOs anyway when we’re in for a checkup or whatever…. back to work for me!!! Gotta run!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Great Horned Owl

Mother Jones on the issue. Are GMO's more allergenic?

Are Genetically Engineered Foods (Including Salmon) More Allergenic? | Mother Jones

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I don't know if this is real hope or a smoke screen to make us think they're actually taking a critical look, "The Center for Food Safety today commended the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee (VMAC) for taking a critical look at whether FDA should approve the long-shelved AquaBounty transgenic salmon as the first genetically engineered (GE) animal intended for human consumption", FDA Committee (VMAC) Split on Recommendations about Controversial Genetically Engineered Salmon « The True Food Network. I have doubts about them since the FDA already decided they're gonna approve this frankenfish as a “veterinary drug”. If that isn't a back door.... I don't know what is. Read it yourself and see what you think. I'm sorta really disappointed myself.

adding something, tell them yourself, https://secure3.convio.net/cfs/site/...rAction&id=335.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 10-03-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: adding way to tell congress what you think yourself
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhh jack…. I was poking around for info on the pig because of another thread and ran into some pretty depressing info. Looks like none of the above was any real hope. It was a smoke screen…. their climate change mitigation “players” just scored a home run for BigGreen with their latest and greatest frankenfood. It’s looking more and more like our administration did us in under the guise of “helping” feed the poor of the world sometime over the holidays, ‘U.S. approves first genetically modified food salmon’, U.S. approves first genetically modified food salmon. And in this era of transparency….. how come I couldn’t find anything about our FDA approving AquAdvantage created for human consumption as a veterinary drug ANYWHERE in our news and had to read it at Canadian sites>>>>? If the initial phase of the process really is now completed and the FDA’s regulating the genetically engineered salmon as a drug with no pre-market safety testing requirements…. AquaBounty can forge ahead virtually unimpeded seeking approval to sell their genetically engineered salmon to the world collecting carbon credits along the way for their "stakeholders". Oh yay…. sunshine and frankensalmon for everyone whether anyone wants it or not. Oh… forgot to mention…. when it’s put on the shelves… it won’t be labeled because…. the FDA has accepted AquaBounty’s claim that their salmon is “substantially equivalent” to its original natural form”. Here’s a decent read on substantial equivalency, GMOs, Substantial Equivalence, and Lies That Affect Public Safety. There’s a little history in that article of how it came to be that our FDA adopts the use of substantial equivalency, “The answer seems to point to Michael R. Taylor, who was the FDA's Deputy Commissioner for Policy when GM seeds were declared to be 'substantially equivalent' to non-GM seed, which meant proof of the harmlessness of GMs was unnecessary. Michael R. Taylor had previously worked as a lawyer for Monsanto (the largest producer of GM seeds), and after his tenure at the FDA, Taylor became a vice-president of Monsanto. On July 7, 2009, Taylor returned to government as the 'senior advisor' to the Commissioner of the FDA for the Obama administration.” Move along… nothing to see here…. no conflict of interest with Taylor as our senior advisor. Oh…. and that photo of the chicken with no feathers in that article….. it’s another gm “product” that’ll probably make its way to our dinner table untested and unlabeled, fhs-bio-wiki / Gen Eng Vocab.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
WG Staff

Default 'Frankenfish' may never make it to your plate

'Frankenfish' may never make it to your plate
By Matthew Perone, The Associated Press
Dec 4, 2012

'Frankenfish' may never make it to your plate - Vitals
excerpt from above:
Quote:
After weathering concerns about everything from the safety of humans eating the salmon to their impact on the environment, Aquabounty was poised to become the world's first company to sell fish whose DNA has been altered to speed up growth.

The Food and Drug Administration in 2010 concluded that Aquabounty's salmon was as safe to eat as the traditional variety. The agency also said that there's little chance that the salmon could escape and breed with wild fish, which could disrupt the fragile relationships between plants and animals in the wild. But more than two years later the FDA has still not approved the fish, and Aquabounty is running out of money.

"It's threatening our very survival," says CEO Ron Stotish, chief executive of the Maynard, Mass.-based company. "We only have enough money to survive until January 2013, so we have to raise more. But...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

"It's threatening our very survival," says CEO Ron Stotish, chief executive of the Maynard, Mass.-based company. "We only have enough money to survive until January 2013, so we have to raise more." Wish it was true but somehow.... I'm not buying any of that.... they've got plenty of $$$, Exposed: Federal funding for GMO salmon?. I'm sure the FDA is working fast and furious figuring out how to get around what ever stumbling block crossed their path and in no time we'll be reading a news flash about how the FDA saved the day and the 30 or so jobs at the Maynard MA corporate office and the THOUSANDS of jobs at their facilities overseas were saved and the world will cheer.

Tags
altered, aquabounty, fda, food and drug administration, food safety, frankenfish, genetically, genetically engineered, genetically engineered food, genetically modified, gmo, gmo food, gmo foods, gmo salmon, health, human health, labeling, modified, regulations, salmon, transgenic, transgenic salmon, unlabeled