Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
WG Staff

dolphin “Don’t Feed Wild Dolphins” Says New Public Service Announcement

“Don’t Feed Wild Dolphins” Says New Public Service Announcement
Illegal feeding harms both animals and humans
March 11, 2009

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - “Don’t Feed Wild Dolphins” Says New Public Service
excerpt from above:
“Just stop feeding me!” says an animated dolphin in a new public service announcement released today that highlights the dangers of dolphins getting hooked on human handouts. The PSA was produced by a coalition of government agencies and private organizations.
The PSA reminds viewers that feeding wild dolphins is not only illegal, it is harmful to dolphins...
Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
WG Staff

Default Don't Feed Wild Dolphins

Don't Feed Wild Dolphins

Don't Feed Wild Dolphins
Excerpt from above:
Quote:
Dolphins are not water toys or pets...
the Flipper myth of a friendly wild dolphin has given us the wrong idea. Flipper was actually a trained, captive dolphin who did not bite the hand that fed him. However, truly wild dolphins will bite when they are angry, frustrated, or afraid. When people try to swim with wild dolphins, the dolphins are disturbed. Dolphins who have become career moochers can get pushy, aggressive and threatening when they don't get the hand-out they expect.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Career moochers is a good term. ALL animals can get "pushy, aggressive and threatening when they don't get the hand-out they expect".
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

dolphin The Cove

I thought I'd re-awaken this thread to bring attention to the recently released, viscerally disturbing film "The Cove." I just watched it and had my emotions and mind agonized by what was depicted. It reveals the mass killing of dolphins in a small fishing village of Japan supported by Sea World and the other numerous dolphin show venues around the world.

The film makes clear the self-reflective intelligence that dolphins possess and then educates the viewer on what both the world and the IWC (International Whaling Commission) are allowing.

If you have any plans of going to Sea World or a place like it, watch the film first and you will cancel the plans. If you go first and then watch the film, you'll suffer from guilt about it for a long time.

I can't encourage viewing the film too much! It's truly a must see!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
“don’t, announcement, dolphins”, dolphins”, feed, public, service, wild, “don’t