Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Aquatic Animals (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/aquatic-animals/)
-   -   Know your jellyfish (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/aquatic-animals/5673-know-your-jellyfish.html)

Staff 04-05-2010 05:00 PM

Know your jellyfish

Know your jellyfish:
some sting, some don't
by Dr J Floor Anthoni

Know your jellyfish
excerpt from above:
Quote:

All cnidaria have stinging cells (cnidocytes), capable of inflicting rashes, stings or even burns. The animals can make these amazing cells at such rate that they can be used as dispensible tools. They can have different types, for stinging, sticking and gripping. The one shown in the diagram is of most concern to us since it is what causes the feared sting. The skin of a jellyfish tentacle is studded with these stinging cells. Each has a trigger hair (cnidocil) that activates a nerve circuit to unlatch the lid (operculum) and at the same time compress the cell. Several adjacent cells can be triggered simultaneously. Inside the capsule, the harpoon and its stinging thread (nematocyst) are ejected under pressure. The barbed harpoon is filled with poisons and everts itself like turning a finger of a rubber glove inside out, punching a hole in one's skin, releasing the poisons and pushing the thread into the punctured skin, to release even more poison. Once used, a stinging cell is discarded and replaced within two days. It is so amazing that such a complicated double-walled structure is made by a single cell!

Equilibrium 04-18-2010 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgive me.... I can't resist. It's a photo from my email that dropped my jaw to the desk.

suunto 04-19-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 63955)
Forgive me.... I can't resist. It's a photo from my email that dropped my jaw to the desk.

This appears to be a composite image. The largest known jellyfish has a maximum bell diameter of a little more than seven feet - see Lion's mane jellyfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equilibrium 04-22-2010 12:13 AM

It's a hoax!!! Bummer. I thought I had a really special new invasive species from an e-mail. The fake photo is impressive. I take it somebody photo shopped it somehow?

TheLorax 04-23-2010 01:00 PM

My dear Lib, I believe you were had. :sofunny
Giant Jellyfish
Giant Jellyfish Optical Illusion | Mighty Optical Illusions
Giant Jellyfish on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Equilibrium 04-24-2010 12:19 AM

It's not the first time.... it won't be the last. ;)

jpdenk 04-25-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 64255)
It's a hoax!!! Bummer. I thought I had a really special new invasive species from an e-mail. The fake photo is impressive. I take it somebody photo shopped it somehow?

Yep, actually a fairly easy one to Photoshop.

Staff 04-26-2010 08:58 AM

Giant deep sea jellyfish filmed in Gulf of Mexico

Giant deep sea jellyfish filmed in Gulf of Mexico
By Jody Bourton
Earth News reporter
Page last updated at 11:35 GMT, Friday, 23 April 2010 12:35 UK

BBC - Earth News - Giant deep sea jellyfish filmed in Gulf of Mexico
excerpt from above:
Quote:

Remarkable footage of a rarely seen giant deep sea jellyfish has been recorded by scientists.

Using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV), they captured a video of the huge Stygiomedusa gigantea...