Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nice series but..... I don't think the last photo are toadlets with spots like that!
Might be baby grey tree frogs unless the color is off in the photo. OOooo I really...... like the tree frogs!
I would be thrilled to have tree frogs breed here, too.

I could be wrong, but based on an image search online, I think they are all toads. Not sure.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I thought so too till I saw the last photo. That specimen appears more green and spotted than the rest

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #23

Quote:
I thought so too till I saw the last photo. That specimen appears more green and spotted than the rest
I did tweak the photo...more for clarity--and adjusted the exposure.

Today, I took a video of one of the little guys crawling on a rock. I recently saw a picture comparison of frogs and toads...one comment was that toads crawl while frogs hop--I never thought if that distinction, but seeing this little one crawl all over the rock reinforced the idea that they are toads.

Still, I'd love to have tree frogs, too...and salamanders...and...
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #24

Good way of telling them. apart. I enjoy watching the toads sneak across the rocks alongside my pond. Recently I've had 3 different frogs move into my pond They are much smaller than the original green frogs that appear in the spring. I am happy to watch their poolside antics catching insects sitting inside daily with a cup of coffee in hand during my early rise morning time

Old 07-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Good way of telling them. apart. I enjoy watching the toads sneak across the rocks alongside my pond. Recently I've had 3 different frogs move into my pond They are much smaller than the original green frogs that appear in the spring. I am happy to watch their poolside antics catching insects sitting inside daily with a cup of coffee in hand during my early rise morning time
Water and the myriad of life it attracts brings immeasurable joy. I am so happy to see such results.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #26

I am too. That was the very reason why I orientated my ponds so close to our home. just the reflections of the clouds is a joy. The frogs the insects...Had a cluster of water striders darting here and there gliding across the surface. Maybe that's why the frogs moved in. A new food supply lay before them because now the striders are gone. Coincidence they moved on or part of the food chain I will not know but with every day, a new view. Ever changing, yet with each toads sneaky crawl along it's bank a big grin beams from within.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #27

Quote:
I am too. That was the very reason why I orientated my ponds so close to our home. just the reflections of the clouds is a joy. The frogs the insects...Had a cluster of water striders darting here and there gliding across the surface. Maybe that's why the frogs moved in. A new food supply lay before them because now the striders are gone. Coincidence they moved on or part of the food chain I will not know but with every day, a new view. Ever changing, yet with each toads sneaky crawl along it's bank a big grin beams from within.
That put a big smile on my face. You have a way with words. I am glad we both enjoy the simple pleasures (and the more amazing ones) of pond.

My first pond was within view of our bay windows...at some point it must have developed a leak in the shallow end. It also accumulated enough debris/leaves through the years that it acts more as a wetland currently. I plan to rework it as my last step--transplant the wetland species (along with the wetland muck) to the wetland I plan to add as Phase IV. Once I rework this pond, I will have a view close to the house--and likely various glimpses of the whole water feature once the rocks and low vegetation are in place.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #28

Thank you!
Simple pleasures. They are the best. They don't cost a dime. Free for the viewing.
Like a young child I still yearn to explore, wander, or just sit tight and discover.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #29

More tadpoles on the way...this time, apparently, green frogs. I found egg masses the other day, and they seem to have all hatched already.
Pond Success Species-psx_20200802_173008.jpg
Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #30

WOW
In your wetland at the top?

Tags
pond, species, success