Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Default Turtle removal

CAPTURING TURTLES:
ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Wildlife gardeners including it's members are NOT responsible for any damages as a result of one's own behavior or actions!!!
PREVIOUS Look into your state capture and release laws!

Make sure you can SEE through the water.
A pair of Polaroid glasses works GREAT for looking beyond what the human eye can see.
Sit pondside and lightly splash your hand or stick upon the surface of the water. The turtle will think it's a young duckling or wounded fish and will slowly...slowly approach the rippling. Here and there you will see it surface for air as it moves in. They stay underwater for quite some time so it takes patience but eventually it will move in beneath the light intermittent splashing. WATCH closely as he nears as it it readying itself beneath the water to attempt a grab. They CAN and WILL....take a finger or MORE off

SMALL turtle Capture option #1
Net it out, but do not stand up to do this as he will see you and quickly swim away. Have your net some what ready-handy pondside for when he surfaces or.... set the net into the water previous to your attracting him in with the splashing. If he is a really big turtle you will not be able to lift him in the net. Being too heavy it will bend or break the handle unless lifted with handle straight straight up. Any angle in the lift, it it will....break

LARGE turtle capture option #2 takes great caution
Once the turtle is near and beneath the water they tend to just slowly float up towards their prey YOUR HAND! What you need to do besides stop toying in the water is focus through.... the water to get a GOOD look at him. Notice front facial end verses back tail end and that is a BIG distinction you must determine before attempting the next step.

Once you are SURE which end is what you need to ask yourself...Is he reachable by hand or do I need to wait till he starts to rise? When he's an arms length deep or closer, slowly lower your arm in behind him and grab its tail FIRMLY with one or both hands if it's a VERY large turtle and lift it straight up! KEEP him at ARMS length AWAY from your body as his neck and head CAN jut out and nab a chunk out of your leg, arm, person standing next to you or anything in it's reach!!!! Set him into a bucket or garbage pail and release him in a nearby river-pond

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Wow! I get nervous enough helping snappers across the road. I am glad none has ended up in my pond. Too bad they donít make turtle tongs like my snake tongs.

If you ever do it, have someone video the capture. It would go viral in a heartbeat.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've done it many times but on one occasion....A VERY large snapper out muscled me. It was so large I could NOT lift it at arms length away from my body. I had to let it go where captured. It was the size of a garbage pail lid!!! Whatta monster!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, turtle