Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Fox

Exclamation Jacques-Yves Cousteau rolls in his grave!...again

Stranded Navy minesweeper taking on water - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

The US navy minesweeper "The Guardian is commanded by Lt. Cmdr. Mark Rice, who first reported to the ship in October 2011."

"Environmental Worries

The Guardian grounding triggered worries in the Philippines about potential damage to the coral reef, which is in a Unesco World Heritage zone where entry is restricted. Many local media are portraying the incident as an environmental issue, rather than a maritime accident."

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Lovely.... irreparable damage will be done to that reef. It's an environmental issue but... it's an accident too... a senseless accident since evidently the paper charts were accurate. Isn't technology grand>>>? This is yet another example of technology owing ecology and apology.
--
Don't get me going on "Unesco World" anything.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Fox

Ya, well this is the military account of the situation, which is sometimes interesting when compared to civilian headlines. LOL

ww
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

What's going on with this these days.... I can't imagine us leaving our "investment" banked on that reef.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Fox

Nothing much going on, ship still wrecked, salvage cranes, fuel pumpers, divers and I guess a decision to dismantle the thing in order to remove it, might take a few months. Hopefully the reef damage is only limited to wreck writhing in the waves. I found this link to a copyrighted news account: AFP: US Navy to pump oil from ship stuck in Philippines

Salvage crane arrives in Palawan | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

ww
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhh.... I did some checking too when I saw the word cranes in your article. Looks as if damage to the reef will be minimal if they use the cranes to take it apart, Navy: Ship run aground is complete loss I think we're doing the right thing considering the damage is already done. The ship will be a total loss but.... who knows... maybe we'll learn something from this.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
Fox

flag

A brief article/ follow-up to the reef damage. BBC News - US pays Philippines over USS Guardian reef damage

ww
Old 02-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

shark

US paid 87M pesos in January to restore and protect the reef....That would be $1.97 million
A short video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNJK6R2_Cn8

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Offical Silphium Abuser

One wonders how a coral reef can be restored.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

My son propagates the living coral in his saltwater tank by removing pieces from them, then planting it elsewhere in the tank. I'd imagine it would be kind of sort of the same for replanting the reef if the manpower is there to do it. They might choose to start them elsewhere, then plant them into the reef when they feel they are large enough or the time is right for each species. If not, they should, in time, fill in on their own.

Quote:
In the ocean, the detachment of the newly formed coral buds is often caused by strong water currents, physical trauma, or biological triggers. The exact length of time varies from species to species, but the bud, or offshoot, eventually detaches from the parent coral and settles in a new location.
To read more about dividing and separating buds.... Reef Aquariums: How to Propagate Your Own Coral Frags at Home

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cousteau, graveagain, jacquesyves, rolls