Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Tiny Pond Critter

While visiting my pond today, I spotted what, at first, I thought were tadpoles. Upon closer examination, I thought they must be some type of arthropod. I grabbed the camera, but didn't get any very clear shots.

After uploading the pictures I did a little investigation online. There were some photos of baby crayfish that almost looked like what I saw (but I hadn't noticed the claws on my critter). Another photo was of a damselfly nymph which made me wonder if my first assumption was wrong. I don't think it looks enough like the damselfly nymph...so, I'd like to hear what you all think.

If I can get a better focused photo later on, I'll add it here, but for now:

Tiny Pond Critter-dsc00036-crop.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

FSC (Field Studies Council) - Life in Freshwater <-- The second photo down does look a lot like what I have...I think I just can't see the legs.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Heron

I think your right with damselfly nymph. the only other thing I could think of would a stone fly or mayfly nymph but I believe they have stouter bodies and prefer running water.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I think your right with damselfly nymph. the only other thing I could think of would a stone fly or mayfly nymph but I believe they have stouter bodies and prefer running water.

Thanks, recurve. After uploading the picture, it looked a lot more like the damselfly than a crayfish.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I can't be positive, but I'd agree on the damselfly ID. They have 3 feather-like gills at the end of their abdomen. Very cool and congrats!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I can't be positive, but I'd agree on the damselfly ID. They have 3 feather-like gills at the end of their abdomen. Very cool and congrats!
Thanks, bridget. I didn't realize those were its gills.

From what I've read, it is a predator as a nymph and not just an adult. I guess any tadpoles that may show up in my pond will not have as easy a time growing up as I'd thought.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Especially if you get the LARGE dragonflies reproducing.
Sorry, but Rolly polly poly guts make for a great feast.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

Well, one reason I was discouraged from introducing fish (native minnows is what I had in mind) was to help ensure that frogs and toads could reproduce in greater numbers, so I wasn't thinking about them being preyed upon by insect predators.

I may still want fish in my final large pond (if I ever make that one)...and, maybe even bluegills or something if I'm within their native range. The other day, while walking, I spotted a kingfisher at a local stream; it got me thinking how cool it would be to see them in my back yard...not that I'm crazy about seeing anything get killed.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Bluegills multiply really fast and will eat everything............. I wouldn't add them if you want frogs and dragonflies!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Bluegills multiply really fast and will eat everything............. I wouldn't add them if you want frogs and dragonflies!
Okay...it was a passing thought. I would be satisfied with minnows. I know I enjoy watching fish...and I'm hoping that they won't be as destructive (eating everything).

Tags
critter, pond, tiny