Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Fox

Default Little critter from a tidal pool

Went to Crane Beach in Ipswich, MA today with a few friends. Very nice and interesting place. I didn't get as many pictures as I usually would as I was reacquainting myself with how difficult it is to walk in very fine sand (especially up a hill) and how important it is to not neglect the tops of one's feet when using sunblock.

While walking through one of the tidal pools my friend noticed this little (1") creature swimming around the shallow edges. It was moving pretty fast but I was lucky enough to get one ID worthy photo. Can anybody help me with that?

Little critter from a tidal pool-crane-019a.jpg

Later that same friend also spotted a Clam Worm (as I IDed it later) which, to her shock and disgust, I picked up for her to examine at closer range. After putting it back where I had found it, she insisted that I pick it back up and take it out further so that it wasn't stranded on the beach by the receding tide. Knowing that the worm probably belonged right where I'd found him, I faked it. My friend is a wonderful person but is also a force of nature herself.

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the Clam Worm as I had stashed my camera in my satchel to protect it from the surf splashing against my knees. To retrieve it would have taken both hands, necessitating somebody besides me holding the specimen. I didn't need to ask to know that I would have no volunteers.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Possibly a crustacean in the order Isopoda - terrestrial examples of this group include sowbugs, pillbugs, woodlice, etc.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Fox

Thank you, suunto. That lead got me exploring which led to this...

Giant isopod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now that's a pillbug!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Heron

Cool photo! Suunto could probably confirm this but don't the terrestrial members of the order isopoda have gills or some modified version of them?
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Possibly a crustacean in the order Isopoda - terrestrial examples of this group include sowbugs, pillbugs, woodlice, etc.
Cool...it sort of reminded me of a pillbug when I saw the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Thank you, suunto. That lead got me exploring which led to this...

Now that's a pillbug!
I'll say!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Cool photo! Suunto could probably confirm this but don't the terrestrial members of the order isopoda have gills or some modified version of them?
Yes they do - That's why they must have access to a moist environment as their gills must be kept moist in order to function.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Yes they do - That's why they must have access to a moist environment as their gills must be kept moist in order to function.

I tell you...I learn so much on this forum.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Heron

I took one like this and noticed something at the bootm of the animal. The second shot shows us looking at it in the reflection.
Attached Thumbnails
Little critter from a tidal pool-isopod.jpg   Little critter from a tidal pool-isopod1.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
To retrieve it would have taken both hands, necessitating somebody besides me holding the specimen. I didn't need to ask to know that I would have no volunteers.
I do believe you were correct!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildale View Post
The second shot shows us looking at it in the reflection.
Cool photo of you all in the reflection...perhaps you should enter it here: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/member-photos/89-wonder-who-will.html

Tags
critter, crustacean, giant isopod, isopod, isopoda, order, pillbugs, pool, sowbugs, tidal, woodlice