View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Also, wood chips/shredded bark allowed to sit in a pile undisturbed for at least a couple of years eventually will turn into a very nice compost-like material.
I put it down pretty thickly in some areas...with hopes of a layer of rich soil before too long.

Growing up, we used the wood chips to line a path my dad "terraced out" on our steep hillside so he could access the lower lot for a garden--and use the hillside for a woodland garden and rock garden. We used shredded bark along the landscaping beds. Over the years, we had a THICK, rich layer of soil around the foundation planting. --Come to think of it, the blackgum seedlings grew thickly beneath the parent trees. They pulled up nicely for transplanting. I'm half-tempted to knock on the door of the house I grew up in and ask if I could take some seedlings (I'm guessing they still come up there).

I'm *really* hoping that they will drop off more. I told them I'd take whatever they had--"If the pile gets low, just dump on some more." Let's hope they do. For now, I'm assuming that this is the only load I'll get, so I gotta make the most of it. If I get more...and more...and more, I'll definitely try to leave a whole pile somewhere to decompose as you suggest. I'd love to have access to a pile of rich soil like that!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote