View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #41
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Per Wikipedia the Oyster Flower is the same genus, different species. Oyster Flower is Purple Salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius).
I think I'd only seen the seedhead in one of my wildflower books--calling it oyster flower--I probably never saw the color of the flower, just the seed head. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
I knew that the Yellow Goat's Beard was non-native from having ID'ed it from my earlier photograph. When I ID something I try to determine if it's native or not. I remember my disappointment upon learning that this beauty wasn't native. I had the same reaction about Chicory.
Hmm...I think I'd forgotten that when I first got into the idea of getting rid of lawn and putting back wildflowers, I had tried to cultivate--or wanted to include chickory in my meadow. It was so long ago (I was a teenager, I think)...I have to admit that I don't think twice about it now--I see it as an alien and have spotted one or two of them in my meadow and my reaction is to remove them.

I think I had a more disappointing realization with the hawkweeds--especially the shorter orange one--I still think they are beautiful, but I'm slowly trying to remove them from our property. ...Talk about confusion with common names...I grew up calling it Indian paintbrush...not until I was older did I learn the name "hawkweed".

Quote:
As I've mentioned before my friend's farm seems to be dominated by non-natives. I guess that's not unusual for land that's been continuously occupied and worked for three centuries.
Our house is what is left of a homestead that dates back at least into the late 1800s...who knows how long before that, that it was cleared. I find that there are still some natives dotted around the property, but not nearly as many as I'd like to find. I've got a *lot* of work ahead of me if I'm to transform it from a mostly European meadow back to an American meadow (or my closest approximation).

Quote:
As for the beauty of the chicory close up, I have to agree. The fact is that I take many macro shots of flowers and always find them fascinating. The structure, textures and colors are usually tremendous!
Keep the macro shots coming...it lets me see something in a whole new light.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote