View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
bridget1964
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
A few years back I took a class at the Mt. Cuba Center to hear Doug Tallamy speak. He said that a nursery in New Jersey had a caterpillar nibbling away at all their White Turtle Head, Chelone glabra, and they were smart enough to have them identified before taking action. So everyone who took the course got to take home a White Turtle Head plant, which I still have today. So they're still around even in NJ but no where near as common. Excellent find.
Wow! Doug Tallamy and free plants? Cool! Do you know if the checkerspot will use a purple turtlehead? John has that in the yard. He looked it up and it turns out it is a variation of the white. Not sure if they will use it as a host plant.

We really are thinking about going back to PA to see if we can find the caterpillars or chrysalides. My niece has a dance recital in a few weeks, so we may venture back to Shickshinny. My cousin who owns the land was THRILLED to hear about the cats. I have another photo from that same day of a butterfly we have yet to identify. I will try to post it here over the weekend. Soooo busy with field trips and programs at school right now!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote