Thread: Fireflies!
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Thanks, Linrose. When I was a teenager I went to school in Brunswick, Maine for a summer and experienced, for the first time (I was a city boy) the wonder of fireflies. I had a plan which was to catch a horde of them before I left and release them in my neighborhood, which had nary a tree or a patch of lawn. Alas, as would be expected, the plan failed.

Now, whenever I see any fireflies in the yard, the old magic returns...
Your comments reminded me of a story. One of my cousins from California (later they moved to Oregon), always looked forward to summers in PA (they visited approximately every 5 years)--he loved the lightning bugs. That is when I found out that their range didn't extend that far west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
...and I lust for the abundant numbers I knew back then. However, I may be well on my way towards success. In the past few years I have been laying leaf mulch from the local cemetery in great abundance in sections of the yard, reducing the amount of grass mown, and planting natives after removing aliens from the space. I also have a section that is quite damp at this time of the year, though in midsummer, it dries up except after a heavy rain.
It does sound like you have what it takes. I glanced through Noah's Garden...there is mention of natural edge and meadow. "You can't have mowed lawns and fireflies..." So, you sound like you are well on your way. Let us know what this season brings--a big increase in your lightning bugs, I hope.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote