View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
lonediver
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamaman View Post
Here in Ohio where hardwood forests used to dominate, things were different 150 yrs. ago. Huge native Chestnuts dwarfed the big Oaks and Ash that form the top of our mature forest today. After Chestnut blight destroyed the Chestnuts, and Dutch Elm disease the Elms, Maples proliferated wherever there was ample light, and the wild Grapes, that once grew only in natural clearings created when a great old tree fell, became rampant. The Grapes can't climb to the tops of the huge trees now absent, but they do reach the tops of all but the biggest Ash and Oak. Now, even after careful selective logging, the younger trees are covered, broken down and smothered by the mass of wild Grapes, whose seed is widely dispersed in the droppings of birds and other wildlife.

There are precious few acres left from which hardwoods are not harvested. Unless someone with a chain saw is ever vigilant, regrowth of this lower climax canopy of Oak, Ash, nut trees and Maple is stifled by the Grapes.

So I was very surprised to read a recommendation to adorn your artificial brush pile with native Grape.

Bad idea!
I have not put wild grape on any here , possibly one of the links I provided did . There is what is called grape ivy that is native to the southwest that I have put on one of my sagauro rib structures .

The grape ivy - cissus trifoliata accordind to the USDA is native throughout the southern US .

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CITR2

I am not familar with this wild grape you speak of in Ohio , likely would not grow here . As to anything taken from links that I posted , I was not responsible for the text in them .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote