View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
NEWisc
Fox

Default An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area

I say early because spring comes late to the swamps/bogs/fens. Even though we've had a very warm spring thus far in my area, the spring events in these lowland wetlands are pretty much on their normal schedule. I'll never forget the time I spent a few days in the cranberry growing region in Wisconsin. The weather forecasts in that area always included "the temperature in the bogs today ... ".

The Carney Fen State natural Area is located in Menominee County in the southern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Some of the things we saw last Friday:

1. Calypso bulbosa flower- Calypso orchid, Fairy-slipper orchid
2. Calypso bulbosa flower
3. The whole plant is about 4 inches tall, with one leaf.
4. If you should go on a trip to find and photograph the calypso orchid, here's the challenge - the plant is in this photo. This is pretty close to the view you would have just standing an looking for the plant; of course you wouldn't know it was there.
Attached Thumbnails
An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-1.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-2.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-3.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-4.jpg  
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote