View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
BooBooBearBecky
WG Operations, Facilitator

I think I fall somewhere in the middle, as I'm still being educated about native plants and invasive plants.

I am lucky in the fact that our property and the property around us is undeveloped. Our woodlands are filled with mature oaks, and plenty of healthy understory growth. There seems to be plenty to support a variety of wildlife. I am always amazed at the symbiotic relationship of the life forms in our woodlands, both plants and critters.

My purchased plants come from a local nursery that sells native plants. I don't mail order plants very often, but I do order seeds from places like Prairie Moon.

I grow a vegetable garden which is a must for us because the fresh produce prices in our region are quite high. That and fresh produce from our gardens tastes so much better and I believe is much healthier for us.

I've also planted some fruit trees hardy for our zone and lean on the side of edible gardening....strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes & currants. I guess these can't really be called native plants, but one has to eat right? Don't worry, the forest creatures get their share too.

My bee population increased exponentially last summer with my many blooming native plants that have reached maturity. That made me really happy. And I saw my first monarch since I moved here. I must be heading in the right direction.

I spent several months this winter examining plant lists for our county to determine what native plantings should be in our woods, but are not. My goal here is to do plantings of endangered species and species of concern that are on the alert list. All the plants support wildlife, birds, bees, butterfiles and other beneficial insects This is really important to me.

I've attached a PDF document that might of interest to those in Wisconsin.

"Wisconsin's Endangered and Threatened Forest Species and Species of Concern"

BooBooBearBecky
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wisconsin Endangered Forest Species.pdf (185.6 KB, 7 views)