View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
This has been on my mind for awhile. I know there are gardeners of all sorts on this forum and it may be a touchy subject but if you had to honestly give yourself a score from 1 to 10, 1 being I like to plant any species or cultivar that is native to the country I live in, to 10 being I only will plant natives of local genotype of seeds wild collected within 10 miles of my location, where would you fall on that scale?...

...I've always been a moderate person, never a real extremist but more of a realist. I do have some plants of local genotype, including the Tennessee coneflower that are special to me, and a lot of plants purchased at a local native plant nursery, but I also have some plants I've ordered online from out of state prairie plant nurseries and other general nurseries. I do question how "native" I need to be. My head says "aim for a 10" but in reality I know I'll never get there.

I'd guess I'm about a 6 or 7. I'm the Avis of gardeners. I try harder.

So 'fess up, how 'bout y'all?

Great thread topic, linrose!

You really have me thinking. At first I was thinking I'm an 8 or 9...in my mind I know I'd like to be a 10 (even though I don't like to be an extremist, sometimes I do lean more to purist in my attitude--for example, when I was interested in bonsai, I felt more affinity to the purist attitudes, but never went so far as to only rip the limbs from a tree to simulate a storm--I would cut them with pruners for the look I was trying to achieve.)

I'm going to call myself an 8...but I don't know how accurate that is!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote