View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
linrose
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Where do you fall on the "native plant gardener" scale?

This has been on my mind for awhile. I know there are gardeners of all sorts on this forum and it may be a touchy subject but if you had to honestly give yourself a score from 1 to 10, 1 being I like to plant any species or cultivar that is native to the country I live in, to 10 being I only will plant natives of local genotype of seeds wild collected within 10 miles of my location, where would you fall on that scale?

For example, Wild Ones advocates planting local genotypes only. However I have found articles on their website that contradicts that directive. I would put their philosophy anyway at a 10, maybe a 9 in practice. Meanwhile big box stores that sell "natives" that are mostly cultivars of natives like Echinacea purpurea, probably cloned or tissue cultured would be about a 2 or 3 depending if E. purpurea is native to your area.

Purchasing the pure species E. purpurea from a mail-order company in another part of the country but is native to your area might warrant a 7 or 8.

Take into consideration that I am talking about a small personal garden, not a restoration or large acreage. In that case I think all of us would go with a 10 if it were at all possible.

I've always been a moderate person, never a real extremist but more of a realist. I do have some plants of local genotype, including the Tennessee coneflower that are special to me, and a lot of plants purchased at a local native plant nursery, but I also have some plants I've ordered online from out of state prairie plant nurseries and other general nurseries. I do question how "native" I need to be. My head says "aim for a 10" but in reality I know I'll never get there.

I'd guess I'm about a 6 or 7. I'm the Avis of gardeners. I try harder.

So 'fess up, how 'bout y'all?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote