View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
midwesternerr
Mentor

Hi Donna,

Disclaimer: Sorry to feed you the rationale behind trapping the birds if you've already read about them elsewhere, but I'm not sure who has or hasn't or what lurkers already know who read but don't post. Most people trapping starlings and sparrows know how to euthanize them and freeze them. Freezing kills some kinds of parasites. At the bird santuary near me, most of the birds of prey are trained to eat prekilled prey. Bald eagles are a native bird that have been part of the North American ecosystem for a long, long time. European Starlings have been proven to reduce the native cavity nesting birds numbers by direct competition for nesting locations. So we can either have native cavity nesters, or we can have starlings, but as the number of starlings rise the number of cavities available for native birds go down. Perhaps not a problem if it were not for the constant loss of habitat and expansion of suitable starling habitat (altered land benefits the pest birds). We will likely never remove the starling, so at this point all we are doing is reducing the amount of damage they do.

I do agree that the birds need to be treated in a humane fashion. I would not advise anyone to trap who cannot check the traps regularly and remove native species and make sure the pest birds have access to food and water for a prompt removal to the bird santuary or to be frozen until such a delivery can be made. There are times when the weather makes checking the traps often enough impossible, so if you wouldn't leave your friends dog in that spot, it probably shouldn't have birds in it either. It is also possible some santuaries may refuse them for fear of introducing toxins or for moral reasons, so I would definitely call a head before showing up with frozen birds
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote