View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
The water in the video seems to be flowing, wasn't there a stream element to your water feature?

Should be fun this summer as the wildlife begins to accept your pond as a natural part of the landscape!

Are you thinking about adding any water plants?
Right now, I have the pump and recirculating part just sitting on the shallow end pouring into the deep end. I still have to dig out a stream and several pools for water to fall into on it's way to the larger pond. This is what I have been calling Phase III for years now. Phase IV is to create a wetland.

Here is the (ugly) temporary setup I have now.

At least the frogs don't seem to mind.

As for plants, last fall I got the native water lily...and I plan emergent plants (like arrowhead and pickerel rush, among others)...I would like some underwater natives, too. And some native fish.

My Pond in Winter-psx_20200112_182814.jpg

My Pond in Winter-psx_20200112_182637.jpg

My Pond in Winter-psx_20200112_182551.jpg

...and, yes, I am excited for wildlife to accept this more each year. They seem to have checked it out even when it was just a hole in the ground--if I find photos. I'll post some.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote