View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

frog

With all of the talk of vernal pools, the other day I was walking up a path in our wooded slope...and came to a spot where I have a bit of Japanese knotweed that I have yet to eradicate. Suddenly, it occurred to me that, perhaps, I could dig a deoresdin there, add a liner, fill it with woodsy soil and try to create a vernal pool--the liner would, hopefully, block any remaining roots of the knotweed from sending up shoots.

This spot is fairly close to my pond...and near where I want to create a wetland. I am not one-hundred percent sure about doing this, but I am hoping it could kill two birds with one stone.

Years ago, I thought about creating a vernal pool on the opposite end of the property in a spot where a pool would more likely form (if there were a water retaining depression there)...but I am intrigued about the possibility of using this spot..and finally ridding myself of the dreaded knotweed.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote