View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #23
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
It's been a similar kind of experience for me. I think that it may be a natural evolution for people interested in the environment and native plants to move gradually from form to function when considering the value of a plant.

If a plant is good for pollinators it has my interest. If it's a natural supporting participant in an ecosystem I'm interested. Beauty is not irrelevant, but it has a much greater depth and broader scope than just the color of its flowers or the structure of its foliage.
I agree.

For many years, I have been interested in a variety of plants that are not very showy...or have small flowers not noticed at even a short distance. However, unless I encountered them, or found them on a field guide, I would not know them. The figworts were just not one I had ever remembered encountering.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote