View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Podo
Carbon

Somehow when I planted my Aquilegia canadensis, birds surrounded it. It was the first time I ever seen White-Throated Sparrows. They're pleasant little fellows. The plant wasn't in bloom, so I think they were attracted to the bugs on it. Pairs of Northern Cardinals also visit it from time to time. There's this flock of Goldfinches visits my Echinacea purpurea annually. Right next to it is a garden sheperd's hook, where the male goldfinch perches, with a windchime. They also like the Rudbeckias. I don't know what birds think of windchimes, but I'm sure a properly constructed bird bath that can supply water in winter and in drought would attract them. Some birds like the Goldfinch like high places to perch near food, too. As for shelter, I don't have experience. It might be worth trying a roosting box or a nesting box.

Here's a link to the National Audubon Society's garden stuffs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The National Audubon Society
www.audubon.org/plantsforbirds
"Bring birds to your home today by growing native plants. With Audubon's Native Plant Database, you can find the best plants for the birds in your area. Growing bird-friendly plants will attract and protect the birds you love while making your space beautiful, easy to care for, and better for the environment. Explore all of our native plant resources here."
You don't need to put your email to use their plant index.
It may be useful to check a few bird watching websites. I think bringing a non-decorative bird bath or water source would bring good results. Lots of birds love to eat bugs, so there's got to be many bugs for them, too.
Good luck!
Podo is offline   Reply With Quote