View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
wildwatcher
Fox

pawprint Rudbeckia hirta

I would probably try going with various 'wildflowers'. Wildflowers often can be perennial in nature, and once established can generally be allowed to fend for themselves. I generally try to steer toward perennial, as they are easier to deal with in the long run.

I like brown-eyed susans for example, a small [yellow] sunflower it is only about 3' tall, easily reseeds, transplants, and cleans-up easily in the fall, can be a bit invasive, loves sunshine and slightly improved dirt seems to instantly improve it, they even respond to pruning!...& there are some really pretty/special variations available. These roots rarely go deeper than 5". Easy, inexpensive. I guess you could even plant some strawberries in among wildflowers, but it would require a lot more attention to get strawberries to work without some serious dirt improvements and probably some kind of mulch program.

Wildlife gardening with a septic drainfield-100_2951.jpga new plot for 2016, little transplants take off the first year.

Wildlife gardening with a septic drainfield-100_2952.jpgeven beside the roadway, I did water & mulch from time to time to get them established. I will add a little more compost in 2017, to keep these guys happy.

Wildlife gardening with a septic drainfield-100_2955.jpg These are the 20+ yr. old 'momma' plants, that gave me the -volunteer transplant babies- that dotted all over my back yard...I simply relocated the springtime babies to the rocky, dry, driveway.

If you search around the WG website you will find some excellent, even unusual wildflower plantings pixs, your bound to find something of interest.

ww