View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
11. I saw a black and white warbler in my yard today. They are not usually here in the summer, so I have to believe the first migrants are starting.

Rebek, my tulip trees are usually amongst the first to turn color here, due to water stress, but this year has been so wet, I am not seeing any yellow leaves yet.

Dap, the eastern tigers wer especially bountiful this year. Their host plants are trees, magnolia and tulip and a few others. They especially like silphium, sunflowers, hyssop, joe lye weed, and tithonia (which is from Mexico, and an annual that doesn't self sow for me). I am also seeing them on the pickerel weed in my pond, and my lantana.

The lack of rain may also be a sign, as our summers are wetter than any other season, and it got down to 68 last night - the first time our nighttime temps have been under 75 in weeks. It tried to rain here yesterday, but the dense line of thunderstorms past about a mile north of us. Completely unfair!
I need to learn my warblers...and I hope to start seeing them and other species I've yet to learn.

I have a tulip tree that is starting to mature--good to know that it is one of the host plants. I plan to add another one or two in my woodlands (one on the slope between our neighborsite and us...the other will be in at the bottom of our second acre). Whatever the cause, your numbers are enviable.

I have cupplant and Joe Pye weed...I've also seen them come to my Monarch fistula.

We are getting a break from our recent heat and humidity--at least 2 days before the humidity is supposed to return. We've had some rain after a very long dry spell. Hopefully the weather will start cooperating with you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote