View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #22
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
When I first started to plant natives about five years ago, I started with a couple of seed mixes from Prairie Moon because it was so much cheaper than plants. I turned over all the sod and such in the areas I wanted to plant....NOT a good idea. I agree with you, Dap, the soil disturbance just released a whole host of weed seeds that had been there for many years (our house was built 70+ years ago). I switched to smothering to avoid giving those weed seeds the opportunity to germinate. Plants may cost a bit more in the beginning, but in my relatively small space, they are much easier to get established than seeds. I think that once I get plants established and the weeds smothered, I should be able to supplement with seeds in those areas. I wouldn't be able to afford to start with plants if I had acres to do, though!

That is why I collect seeds and winter so them to plant once they are grown in a bit. We I purchase plants, I collect their seeds to plant...but I also collect natives that naturally occur on our property...and natives find growing along the sides of roads. I agree, I could never afford all to purchase even plugs for all of the plants it would take to fill up 2 acres!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote