View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
...I rotate my pastures. When the grass starts to get short in one I move them to the other one. I mow the pasture that is resting so the weeds don't get too tall. In the winter the horses stay in a lot with hay off the pasture so they won't eat it down to the ground. Creeping buttercup is a huge problem for pastures in this area. I have been able to decrease it by not letting my grass be overgrazed. There is a farm nearby that has way too many horses. Their pasture is a sea of yellow in the spring when buttercup is blooming...
Ellen, I commend you for not only researching this topic, but putting it into practice with huge success. I hope your neighbors notice your pastures, and inquire about how you've achieved it, so that they can put it into practice.

Keep up the good work, I hope you reduce your weeds more and more each year with the sound practices you are implementing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote