View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #445
CincyGarden
Garden Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qjedi View Post
I'm actually considering doing a cut-off bokashi barrel, in ground, and seeing what I can get out of it all. I know some folks have had good results from doing smaller buckets in a large flowerpot, and similar projects, but I just get a kick out of this stuff, and would LOVE to see how it works with a 55 gallon drum.
I'll probably start smaller, but I see a lot of potential going with a larger (or better yet, longer) container than a 5 gallon bucket. Like a big piece of wide-bore PVC, or maybe a long piece of plastic rolled into a cylinder, or... or... umm...

Well, we do have a bunch of big drums we bought to help us set up our water harvesting system; I might move up to that point if it gets really working.
We have tried to do this with much larger "buckets" but it faces 2 issues when doing it with "household" quantities: 1) amount of material and 2) gravity. Personally, I think bokashi could work in any quantity, but our household had trouble with finishing off in larger batches.

We have a giant trash can (just like this only brown in color). During the dead of winter we gathered several 5 gallons worth of bokashi kitchen scraps and, because the ground was still frozen, put them in there. We put some plastic over the top of the material, and also to seal the lid.

It still got invaded by soldier flies, which isn't bad, but was markedly different than other buckets. I think the issue was that the heat dried out the uppermost portions. I think that if we had covered it with dirt, instead of plastic, and left the lid open, instead of baking it with the lid closed, we would have of had a more complete cycle before the bugs turned up.

As it was, it was infested by grubs pretty soon after the weather changed. No big deal, really, just not ideal. It still didn't smell (and, honestly, that's my major reason for finding this method). Soldier flies are normally a composting companion, but you don't expect to see them in bokashi composting.

I try to trench my bokashi in the off season and bury around trees after it cools off in season. You can trench and put in seeds above it, too, without cooling off (3" or so of soil on top).

If I were to try bokashi composting in large amounts (i.e. more than 5 gallons) again, I would use a cylinder rather than a square, and use soil rather than an air-tight membrane to cover it.

0.02 cents deposited. Have fun.