View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Our little bluestem seems to want to plop itself just about everywhere in the yard. If we weren't trying to be semi-civilized for the neighbors, in a couple of years, our sunny areas could be pretty much covered by little bluestem, a variety of asters, goldenrod, black-eyed susan, blue-eyed grass, and obedient plant. (Actually, this combination doesn't sound too bad.)

I'm hoping to get a meadow full of little bluestem--and a variety of wildflowers (including the asters and goldenrod)...I guess if it starts showing up in the vegetable garden or something, I can move it where I want it...or share it with others. I would think mowing the paths would keep it from establishing itself there.

...Wouldn't it be great if it would repopulate the natural areas around my county. Considering I collected some seed from a small patch (the only one I've found around here) of locally grown little bluestem, it would even be local ecotype!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote