Thread: What are these?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
NEWisc
Fox

I see that the first link I posted was an auction and that posting expired. Here's another photo of the American type scythe (the one on the left):
The cutting edge: St. Croix County scythe expert says ancient haying tool making comeback on small farms - The Country Today: Country Options

The guy in the article seems to be knowledgeable about scythes and his recommendation is:
Quote:
The wooden handle of the scythe, called a snath, has two ergonomic grips. The wood should be oiled once in a while. Anderson also cleans and dries the blade before storing it after use.
The cutting edge: St. Croix County scythe expert says ancient haying tool making comeback on small farms - The Country Today: Country Options

As to how I knew that, I grew up on a small farm. My father used to have one and he actually knew how to use it. Even though he had moved on to a tractor and hay mower by the time I'd arrived on the scene he tried to teach me how to use it. I never really did get the hang of it but it's not the kind of tool that you forget.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote