View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dapjwy I understand you'd like things to be looking their best before the gang arrives but don't be fretting and worrying about getting everything done and in its place so.
There's never a point where things are really like that. If you could see the condition of our - Or at least what my home-yard looks like when I'm in mid fling doing everything I can in the yarden and only what's really needed to be done inside the home.
Thanks, havalotta...Not only for telling me not to worry about it, but also understanding my desire to have it looking its best. I know you understand because you shared with all of us just how much you tried to get your gardens just right for your garden tour. I know I won't be able to match your manic drive to get things the way I want them...but I also feel getting things right for strangers is different than having friends over in a more casual setting. I feel sure you all will understand where I am at this stage. I just *really* wish I could eliminate my worst invasives (currently mugwort and crownvetch, but I also have English ivy, Vinca minor, Ajuga, etc. to remove...not to mention my small patch of Japanese knotweed that I'm slowly subduing. Sigh...garlic mustard is another one.)...and establish more sections of native habitats.

I'm sure some of the first bare root seedlings that I put in our first spring will shoot up a bit taller by the time you all make it out here. Also, hopefully, knowing you all are coming will light a fire under me to get phase one of the pond landscaped and do some more landscaping around the house. Even if I could plant a meadow (not sure it is feasible next year) it won't look like much until the second or hird year anyway.

Just remember, if I *do* get a lot done it will be for me and the wildlife to enjoy for years to come...and hopefully it will be enough to win Jeff over even more. So reign me in if I really go bonkers, but let me go wild as much as I can so everyone benefits.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote