View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
My garden seems to be heavily late summer / autumn bloom centered. With the grasses and the flowers and all these unusually warm days and a summer with plentiful rain summer lingered long. The latest blooming plant in our garden has been White Snakeroot Ageratina altissima
White Snakeroot (Ageratina altissima)
So far, my yard seems predominantly spring and (like yours heavily weighted) late summer/autumn blooms. I'm thrilled to have so much nectar available in the fall (and I should and will add wider variety of species), but I feel there are some pretty huge gaps in late spring and early summer. I'd love suggestions of what I can grow in my meadow (and elsewhere) in the months prior to fall.

As for the white snakeroot, I have some that I got from my brother. I like it much better than the boneset (but I will include this as well--ONE volunteered last year, and I collected seed from it this year). I'm hardly a botanist (despite being called "Junior Botanist of the Year" by my next door neighbor while growing up)...but, I can see the similarities of the flowers to that of the ageratum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Our garden is an ongoing learning experience. Savanna plants that do well with some canopy and some open to full sun areas and a very high moisture level except on the bordering slopes where plants that prefer good drainage and sometimes very dry soil do best. Even such a small urban garden has many different conditions to consider.
Sharing your experience on a thread here would likely benefit a lot of us. Our property has a slope to it and a (natural?) terracing as well, so I'm rather interested in what you've learned about these microclimates (not sure I'm using the term correctly...someone let me know if I'm not ).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote